Sarah Gallant, M.A., is the founder of CommuniClear Global. For over 17 years, she has designed and taught English courses for international speakers of English in Chicago and abroad. She has worked with international research scientists, project managers, IT specialists, engineers, teachers, graduate students, and executives in both the academic and corporate workplace.
Corporate clients served in the U.S., Prague, and Buenos Aires include: BMO Capital Markets, Hospira, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Marmon Group, RTKL Associates, Constar, Cartus, KPMG, Siemens, Ernst and Young, Eli Lilly, Coca Cola, Eurotel, and Lucent Technologies. Sarah has developed, piloted, and run successful accent modification training programs for groups of remote employees via videoconference.
Sarah taught at the Tutorium in Intensive English and the International Teaching Assistants Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago for over 12 years. She resigned in June 2013 to launch CommuniClear Global.
Instructional Design Experience
- Develops speech and communication training programs for business professionals
- Creates supplemental course websites to cement each training program
- Had a lead role in developing and implementing new curriculum materials into the International Teaching Assistants Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago
Language Training Experience
- Works with clients from around the world (e.g., Brazil, India, China, Argentina, Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Korea, Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, Spain, Peru, Germany, France, Japan, Benin, Saudi Arabia, Thailand)
- Runs speech and communication training programs in person and via videoconference
- Conducts telephone coaching sessions for business professionals
- Integrates technological and online resources into programs
- Trained International Teaching Assistants to speak clearly in English so that they could effectively communicate course content to undergraduates in the American classroom
- Tutored company employees one-on-one
- Designed and led general and business English courses to corporate executives in the Czech Republic (Prague) and Argentina (Buenos Aires)
- Taught advanced content-based courses in an intensive English for Academic Purposes program
- Taught all levels of English proficiency in an intensive English for Academic Purposes program
- Taught iBT-TOEFL preparation courses
Speaking-Skills Assessment Experience
- Conducts assessments via telephone interviews
- Adapted standardized speaking-proficiency assessment tools (SPEAK, iBT-TOEFL, and CEFR) for specific assessment purposes at the University of Illinois at Chicago and at Hospira, Inc.
- Evaluated the spoken English proficiency and intelligibility of incoming international teaching assistants
- Interviewed company employees on global virtual teams to evaluate their spoken English proficiency and intelligibility
- Wrote follow-up reports and language training recommendations
- Gave immediate feedback to international graduate students leading lab sessions at the university
- Used the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) to measure the oral proficiency of incoming international teaching assistants
- Assisted a Chicago-based international relocation company in adapting the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for its own assessment purposes
- Used adapted CEFR assessment measure to conduct phone interviews with business executives living outside the U.S.
English-Speaking Skills Workshops
- Speak to be Understood
- Interactive Academic Encounters
- Communicating from the Start
- What’s up with Undergraduates These Days
Conference Presentations & Workshops
- Speaking Intelligibly, Real Time!
- Pronunciation Instruction: Priorities and Techniques
- Pronunciation Instruction: Virtual Tools for Working with Adults in India
- Using Authentic Websites to Practice Pronunciation Topics
Masters of Arts in Applied Linguistics/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from the University of Illinois at Chicago. Her primary areas of interest included: Second Language Acquisition, Task-Based Learning, and Discourse Analysis.
Completion of a telephone interview and assessment training with Judith Mader, Senior Assessment Consultant for ELC-European Language Competence and Language Instructor at The Frankfurt School of Finance & Management in Germany.
Bachelors of Arts in Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature from the University of Minnesota. This interdisciplinary field required extensive critical thinking and academic research in the humanities and literary criticism.